As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, there is no direct native integration between an Amazon Alexa device and a PlayStation 4 (PS4) console without using a third-party device like the Logitech Harmony Hub or a similar universal remote control hub. These hubs typically enable voice control of your PS4 through Alexa by acting as intermediaries.
However, I can provide a general outline of how you might set up such a system using a Logitech Harmony Hub or similar device:
Materials You’ll Need:
- Amazon Alexa device (e.g., Echo Dot, Echo Show)
- PlayStation 4 (PS4) console
- Logitech Harmony Hub or a similar universal remote control hub
- Smartphone or computer with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities
- Harmony mobile app (or compatible third-party app)
- Set Up the Logitech Harmony Hub:
- Download and install the Harmony mobile app on your smartphone or computer.
- Follow the app’s instructions to set up your Logitech Harmony Hub and add your PS4 as a device.
- Create Activities:
- In the Harmony app, create “Activities” for your entertainment system, including your PS4. Activities are sequences of commands that the Harmony Hub will send to your devices to set them up for specific tasks.
- Link Harmony and Alexa:
- Open the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone or computer.
- Go to the “Skills & Games” section and search for the “Harmony” skill.
- Enable the Harmony skill and log in with your Harmony account credentials.
- Discover Devices:
- In the Alexa app, go to the “Devices” tab and click on the “+” icon to add a new device.
- Select “Add Device” and choose “AV System.”
- Alexa will scan for your Harmony Hub and any activities you’ve created.
- Control Your PS4 with Alexa:
- Now that Alexa is linked with your Harmony Hub, you can use voice commands to control your PS4. For example, you can say, “Alexa, turn on PS4” to power on your PS4 and activate the activity you’ve created for gaming.
- Customize Voice Commands (Optional):
- You can create custom voice commands in the Harmony app to perform specific actions on your PS4, such as launching games or controlling media playback. These custom voice commands can be triggered through Alexa.
Please note that technology and compatibility may have evolved since my last update in September 2021. Ensure that you have the latest firmware and app versions for your Harmony Hub or similar device, and check for any new integrations or skills that may have been added to Alexa for PlayStation control.
If there are now native options or easier methods to connect Alexa to a PS4 without using a Harmony Hub, I recommend checking the official Amazon Alexa and PlayStation support pages or forums for the most up-to-date information.